Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hyper Light Drifter First Impressions



Ever since Transistor I've apparently been infected by an aversion to new, challenging games. I'm hopelessly trapped replaying old favorites like Far Cry 2 (while eagerly awaiting the latest iteration of Ziggy's Mod for 3) and new ones like Mad Max, while being acutely aware of how excellent both Transistor and newly released Indie darling Hyper Light Drifter and I fully *intend* to complete them. Both of these games have incredible artwork, soundtracks, and mechanics, but Drifter is just... not fun to play with a keyboard and mouse and apparently I was scared off by the depth of Transistor's mix-n-match combat abilities.

I guess it's not really surprising since I'm working an actual, real, legit 40-hours-a-week get-paid-every-two-weeks job that my tolerance and willingness to seek out and endure challenging and original games has withered so severely, but yeah -- I'm basically the average consumer of video games at this point. I'm sure at some point I'll have the itch for these games again, but until then I'm pretty damn happy spending my reduced gaming time on sure bets. Pretty selfish, right?










No comments:

Post a Comment